Vlan deletion suggestions / feedback

Rory

Vlan deletion suggestions / feedback

Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:04 pm

Ok, so I was working through some new configs for my network, and maybe I had too much coffee today, or maybe my mouse has its sensitivity turned all the way up, but when I was modifying the tagged / untagged settings for port 26, I kept accidentally deleting vlans. Generally I'm against the hand holding of making a program ask "are you sure" or other such nonsense, but I thought to myself that issue could be disastrous if it was encountered by someone who didn't have the wherewithal to be able to recreate the VLAN config by rote. So I started thinking, how could we deal with that without causing a Vista-esque "are you sure" headache.

My first thought was to make the vlan delete button be greyed out UNLESS the vlan was disabled (so once you uncheck the 'enabled' box the delete button becomes active. I would recommend some sort of mouse over text on the delete button that indicates that the Vlan needs to be disabled before being deleted for the sake of clarity. I like this option because it completely removes the ability to use the button, while not causing a ton of extra mouse clicks or user input.

We COULD have the UI provide a confirmation dialog. Obviously I am not personally in favor of that, not just because I'm predisposed to dislike it, but in this instance that dialog would actually trigger, causing the user to have to stop what they were doing, select "no, don't do that , stupid", and then get back to the task at hand. IMO that would actually be more of a PITA due to the increased number of mouse clicks, but that's just my 2c.

We could move the Vlan deletion function onto its own separate page, launched from a "manage Vlans" button on the current Vlan Page. In that manner it would be completely separate from the t / u page and much harder to trigger accidentally. I'm not really in favor of that simply because I think it would be slightly more complex for no real reason, and probably more work to implement for Eric. Although I favor it much more than the "are you sure" option.

At any rate, I'm open to suggestions. Do you think this should be modified? If so, please feel free to provide feedback. Obviously this isn't broken, so I'm more curious to hear what you folks think before making any major demands of Eric's time / schedule.

Thanks

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Re: Vlan deletion suggestions / feedback

Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:20 pm

I vote for the disable before delete option.

Return to General Discussion