Tarpit

mhoppes
Associate
Associate

Tarpit

Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:09 pm

I have no idea why searching for "tarpit" brings up nothing as I know it's been discussed.
In the new firmware version (1.1.x)what does putting in an "allowed IP address" do? Does that prohibit logging in from any other IP? Or does that just not throttle attempts from that IP?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Tarpit

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:23 pm

If you provide allowed IP's only those IPs can access the UI/CLI/SNMP

Tarpit affects the UI. If you do not limit what IPs can access the switch UI then a Tarpit is recommended, pretty self explanatory, I think?

Tarpit does not affect SSH attempts currently but we may implement it later but the SSH program we use does have it's own brute force counter measures.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

mhoppes
Associate
Associate

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:25 pm

Yes... pretty straight forward, I just wanted to confirm that was in fact how it operated before I started putting IPs in the list :)

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:28 pm

mhoppes wrote:Yes... pretty straight forward, I just wanted to confirm that was in fact how it operated before I started putting IPs in the list :)

Yea, it will warn you if you are about to apply a list of allowed IP's that do not include your current IP but this is meant as an OH shit for dummies and one should not rely on this and should think things through or you are adding to why buckets have pictures of babies drowning in them and warning not stand on the top step, or not to use your lawn mower to trim your hedges. We do TRY to prevent stupid mistakes but people should think about what they are doing and not rely on us holding your hand all the time, this switch is designed for PROFESSIONALS not the consumer market!!!!!
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

RebusCom
Experienced Member

Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:42 pm

sirhc wrote:We do TRY to prevent stupid mistakes but people should think about what they are doing and not rely on us holding your hand all the time, this switch is designed for PROFESSIONALS not the consumer market!!!!!

A definition of "professional" is someone that is paid for their work. Since I am not paid enough for this work, at best I could only be described as semi-professional. Am I out of my league amongst "professionals"? :geek:

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:24 am

RebusCom wrote:
sirhc wrote:We do TRY to prevent stupid mistakes but people should think about what they are doing and not rely on us holding your hand all the time, this switch is designed for PROFESSIONALS not the consumer market!!!!!

A definition of "professional" is someone that is paid for their work. Since I am not paid enough for this work, at best I could only be described as semi-professional. Am I out of my league amongst "professionals"? :geek:

:rofl4:

Return to General Discussion