ALMOST READY

sirhc
Employee
Employee

ALMOST READY

Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:07 pm

We should be shipping limited numbers next week! - FINALLY :hurray:
Then another small batch the following week! :working:

Then we should have thousands in the supply channel and in our warehouse by the end of the month! :cheers:

I appreciate your patience and support, I really hope you decide it was worth the wait! :popc:

And for those attending Vegas this year be ready for a few more BIG surprises! :yikes:
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: ALMOST READY

Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:13 pm

One of the things you guys will love about these switches is how quiet they run!

You could have one of these on your desk running and it would not bother you!

I took time with the air flow design, used GOOD named brand fans from SUNON and DELTA.

DELTA fans will be phased out after I use them up and then we switch over to SUNON fans as they are even quieter.

Both fans have a MTBF of well over 50,000 hours.

As I said though we also monitor the fans TACH or RPM and will alert you if a fan is failing or fails via SMTP or SNMP alerts.

The fan RPM is controlled buy 2 factors:
Temperature of the chassis and board
How many watts your pulling from the power supply.

Since the board and all the components are technically rated up to 85C even though we specify 55C for the switch the air flow just extends the MTBF for the board.

The power supply we selected is also technically rated for convection cooling up to 50C before the derating curve kicks in and rated warmer for HOT running periods once again the fans just extend the MTBF.

We over designed this puppy to be rugged and work in harsh environments but you can run it inside in climate controlled areas as well it just will be whisper quiet compared to other switches on the market! :thumbsup:
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:22 am

sirhc wrote:I took time with the air flow design, used GOOD named brand fans from SUNON and DELTA.

DELTA fans will be phased out after I use them up and then we switch over to SUNON fans as they are even quieter.

Too bad those fans wouldn't work in the ES? You could sell them as aftermarket upgrades. Pirate4

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:29 pm

So I had 2 switches in my office rack which I posted a picture last week with a cable MESS. We went back and finally after 15 years put in a patch panel and cleaned it up a bit.
20140910_122104.jpg
20140910_122104.jpg (800.97 KiB) Viewed 25442 times

We are busy trying to get the firmware ready for release as soon as possible.
I would like to ship out all the backorders Friday but Monday at the latest. We have a LIMITED number of units right now but will get several thousand by end of month.

rcosby

Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:50 pm

What is the best way to pre-order a switch?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:50 pm

rcosby wrote:What is the best way to pre-order a switch?

Right now the only way to pre-order is on the http://www.rfarmor.com web store.

We are working on an issue that appears to be VLAN related. Sadly I have no ETA at this time to solve this issue, could be today, tomorrow, or next week? :headb:

Here is a switch currently in service at one of my towers that we are using to debug the VLAN issue.

It has 2 airFIBER 24 GHz backhauls and 10 airMAX radios.
load tower.png
load tower.png (142.17 KiB) Viewed 25081 times

vlan.png
vlan.png (82.31 KiB) Viewed 25081 times

ports.png
ports.png (125.31 KiB) Viewed 25081 times

fast.png
fast.png (113.65 KiB) Viewed 25080 times

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:10 pm

I am trying to be open about everything so here it goes.

OK first off I apologize for the delay on the release of this switch but I did not want to release something that is known faulty.

We are narrowing this problem down and making headway though!

FIRST we thought it was related to the switch MAC table which was incorrect, dead end there and a loss of several days.

SECOND we thought it was related to the switch VLAN configuration which was also incorrect.

We thought these things because originally we were using all 24 ports and did not make to connection that it was port based but assumed it was VLAN based, long story....

We have been working with the chipset manufacturer to resolve the issue and we have a conference call Monday again with them.

What we have discovered is if we only use the first 12 ports of the 24 port switch it works fine.
There is a second PHY chip to handle ports 13-24. And if we use ports 13-24 without POE there is also no problem.

When we use the higher ports the problem exhibits itself randomly if we are using POE.

Now the PHY's in the SOC for ports 1-12 are Luton and the PHY's in the second PHY chip for ports 13-24 are ATOM, both are made by VITESSE.

Also it only happens when the switch powers devices with the high ports ports 13-24 from the switch.

The POE circuits are identical across 1-24 so it is not the way the POE is done as it works fine on 1-12. It has to be something in the way the high PHY's may handle noise, ESD, EMF, or ground potential differences? We also had designed in but not populated filter circuits for the Ethernet ports.

If we use power bricks on ports 13-24 then it is also all fine keeping in mind that 10/100 UBNT POE bricks do NOT pass pins 4,5,7,8 through so we are looking at the fact that UBNT bonds the digital negative to earth ground in their devices and since they do this we may be forced to as well?

We "think" it has something to do with one of the following:
1) Ubiquiti bonds digital negative to earth ground in all their 10/100 devices like ToughSWITCH, Rocket, and so on and we do not.
2) ESD or stray current from above from 150 feet of cable in the air or the fact that the Rockets have bonded neg to ground.
3) there are some software fixes for later revisions of the PHY's (13-24) that we may not be implementing, will find out Monday.

Possible solutions for corresponding issues above:
1) Bond them the same as Ubiquiti, we did leave discrete population points for CAPs or 0 ohm resistors to do just that, we may try this today.
2) Possibly same as 1
3) DUH

We may be able to start shipping the 12 port since it does not appear to suffer the same issue.

But as you can see in the picture below I ran the switch all night and we only lost ONE ping to a customer when using only ports 1-12.
When using the TS we lost a considerable amount of pings, mind you less than 0.01% on average but our switch appears to preform much better but one would assume this since the TS BCM53118 switch core was meant for small home or office environment and our core was designed for enterprise.

Now the edgeMAX has a core that is also suitable for Enterprise installations as well and the way they implement the feature is a better solution for an Enterprise deployment but we feel ours is better for tower locations because of the higher operating temperature and the fact that we did not allow all the advanced Enterprise features that 99% of WISPs do not need at a tower site and just make the configuration more complex.

vlan pings.png
vlan pings.png (103.33 KiB) Viewed 25051 times

_Ty_

Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:05 pm

I'm not being pushy, I promise, but when might the 12ports be shipping? I am trying to plan some tower work and the switch is the only missing piece.

-Ty

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:38 pm

_Ty_ wrote:I'm not being pushy, I promise, but when might the 12 ports be shipping? I am trying to plan some tower work and the switch is the only missing piece.

-Ty

We put a 12 port in service today at my WISP to test to make sure they are OK.

Since they are basically the first half of the 24 port and the first 12 ports work fine in the 24 port we are hoping they are also OK and then we will start shipping the limited supply of 12 port switches we have to those that pre-ordered them by end of week?

I think we have enough 12 ports to fill those that pre-ordered them?

Trust me this is extremely frustrating to me as well.

Problems in testing:
The best way to test these is in service and I am hesitant to cause to much trouble before 6PM because of businesses off those towers so I have the switches in configurations that I know are fine then after 6 PM I re configure them to debug.

The problem is so far impossible to re-create in a lab but we will try again this evening to do so.

The people to help with debugging this from Vitesse are all around the world in remote offices so sometimes email replys take 24 hours.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:30 pm

First off I want to thank EVERYONE for their patience in this, you have all been so great and supportive!

OK so here is where we are. What we originally thought was a software issue turned out to be a hardware issue.

For those that might know what I am talking about here it goes, this is what we have done and one of them "appears" to be the fix. I will not feel confident that the fix is complete until further testing this weekend.

1) A pull up resistor on a GPIO pin used for interrupt polling between the SOC/Switch/PHY's 1-12 and the secondary PHY Chip for ports 13-24.
2) Upgraded oscillator to eliminate possible jitter.
3) A resistor change on clock/timing.
4) Capacitors for filtering on the Ethernet ports 1-24, we hope this is not needed as it is 192 placements which increases the cost of the boards by about $7. We had designed them in as stuffing options so the board pads are there.

I intend to let this board run all night and monitor the results. Tomorrow I need to swap out this board yet again with another board without the filter caps to insure they are not the solution.

Provided the tests pass I will ask the assembly house to modify the couple hundred boards they already assembled for the first production run before we pulled the plug.

They will then ship those boards to me hopefully on Tuesday or Wednesday which I will get Thursday or Friday to swap out the boards I already have fully assembled in the chassis for shipment to those that had pre-ordered. That means I could possibly start shipping back orders by Friday/Saturday.

I will then ship the boards they had originally shipped me back to them for modification then they will ship back to me.

Provided no more modifications are needed that make me scrap the bare/empty PCB's already made we will have enough parts to then assemble 3,000 more boards this month and next month. If I had to make new PCB's that cost's me $30K and adds 3-4 weeks.

I will then get back on finishing the DC version design and hopefully start shipping those by end of November or December.

After the DC versions are done I will resume work on the Tower Switch which may be shipping now sometime in February?
I have to make a trip to China to finalize the composite cable production!

Now sometime in the next few weeks I will announce the product that I was going to announce in Vegas but probably will not be going as I am so far behind and to be honest with the possibility of Ebola at airports and Vegas maybe that is not such a bad thing? Of course if I was Robert I could jump in my "private" jet. :rofl4: I am sooo jealous!

So here is to hoping these tests prove GOOD!
fingerscrossed.png
fingerscrossed.png (126.06 KiB) Viewed 24977 times

Next
Return to General Discussion