Building Permit needed for install antennas on water tower?

Kick back and hang out in the lounge and talk about almost anything.
TheHox
Experienced Member

Building Permit needed for install antennas on water tower?

Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:59 am

I'm still working on this water tower deal I have been pursuing for almost 2 years.. Contract done and signed (basic terms) payment made for the first year almost a month ago. I got to use an old Nextel hut, power turned on in our name almost good to go.

When I went to turn the power on at the old nextel hut, I had to pull a permit and get it inspected as it was sitting for over a year. The inspector came out and said he also wants to see my plans for the water tower. I sent him some plans, and now he is telling me to go file and pay for a building permit.

Do I really need a building permit? I am not installing any new mounts, pipes, stand offs, nothing. Everything I need is already there, just running wire and attaching ubnt antennas to the existing poles.

Not sure if if I try and push them back on asking for a permit, or just give in and do it.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Re: Building Permit needed for install antennas on water tow

Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:28 pm

seems EXTREMELY unlikely that you need a building permit, you arent building anything much less a permanent structure.

TheHox
Experienced Member

Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:39 am

I've asked a few people in this industry and they have all said the same thing.. Seems odd.
I am asking for clarification on the issue. Almost seems as if it is just the city's inspector grabbing at money to keep himself involved in something he doesn't need to be.

Wifimax

Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:47 am

I have never ever had to pull a permit for a water tower.... Sounds like the inspector wants to be a PITA :P

rkelly1
Experienced Member

Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:23 pm

never needed a permit for a water tower here. push back nicely and see what happens.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:29 pm

Nor have I.

They have tried to get permit, engineering drawings, and inspection so I threatened to walk away.

Just say you install with industry standard bolt on equipment. Explain you are NOT a cell company worth MILLIONS
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

TheHox
Experienced Member

Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:12 pm

I questioned the need for it..

"The permit is both for zoning and building purposes. Any new antenna's are required to be permitted and inspected to verify compliance with state and local codes for installation and location.
If you have any other questions feel free to contact me."

Wonder if I dare ask him where it says antennas have to be inspected, and to what "code" he is referring to.

I want to get this done asap, not sure if I just give in and let him poke around, or dispute it still... :headb:

TheHox
Experienced Member

Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:33 pm

19.55.020 - Applicability.
The requirements of this chapter shall apply to all new wireless telecommunications facilities that had not received a building permit prior to adoption of this chapter. Wireless telecommunications facilities, which pre-exist this chapter, or have been legally permitted prior to its adoption, shall not be required to meet the requirements contained herein. This chapter is not intended to regulate residential satellite dishes that are thirty-six inches or less in diameter, residential television antennas, or amateur radio facilities, which instead are regulated under Section 19.06.110.
(Ord. 1600 § 1(part), 2006: Ord. 994 § 12.0(part), 1982).

So where would a WISP fall under? I think they need to amend that to excluded fixed wireless providers too.

edward

Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:17 pm

Section 19.06.110. (Ord. 1600 § 1(part), 2006: Ord. 994 § 12.0(part), 1982)

That's a very outdated code. In the world of wireless, it's pre-historic. Have you read that part? And you aren't building a new facility, using one that was already there.

Me, I would push him hard. I've run up against a lot of hard noses in a previous profession. Talk to the board in a town meeting. Get prospective customers, i.e.voters, to come.

Most of these guys are just ordinary joe's with a little power, and a big head. I would worry him down. Win or lose I would make him sweat.

/edit

How much is this building permit?

rkelly1
Experienced Member

Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:40 pm

I have a good relationship with the mayors of the towns where we have installed on water towers. In my situation, I'd give the mayor a call or go visit. Usually it's pretty easy to see it your way. little power hungry inspectors can be a pain.

We once had an inspector do a stop work order on two sites the morning after he inspected and approved them. Apparently he laid in bed thinking about something.

I had a conference call with his boss and the county attorney and I was pretty angry. It took about five minutes and we were good to go.

Next
Return to The Lounge