Vivint continues to push their model

Kick back and hang out in the lounge and talk about almost anything.
rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Re: Vivint continues to push their model

Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:30 pm

rkelly1 wrote:NIce link. I thought "the higher the frequency, the more rain fade" and the graph sets that straight for me!

generally yes, but ~2.45Ghz is kinda of a mean range for resonance of polar molecules (H2O for instance) and so at certain magnitudes these align. 5.8Ghz attenuates a little more than average, while 24-25Ghz is hit hard, and 58-60Ghz is hit hard.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:33 pm

rkelly1 wrote:NIce link. I thought "the higher the frequency, the more rain fade"...

I think it has to do with the average sized raindrop and resonant harmonics. Supposedly H & V don't fade at the exact same rate. It has to do with raindrops being egg shaped rather than perfectly round.

Wouldn't you know it, the unlicensed bands fade the most. Probably why they are free.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:39 pm

lligetfa wrote:
rkelly1 wrote:NIce link. I thought "the higher the frequency, the more rain fade"...

I think it has to do with the average sized raindrop and resonant harmonics. Supposedly H & V don't fade at the exact same rate. It has to do with raindrops being egg shaped rather than perfectly round.

Wouldn't you know it, the unlicensed bands fade the most. Probably why they are free.

I believe that the ISM bands exist because those are the frequencies that many industrial applications chose before there was an FCC or the FCC had any clout. Microwave ovens are centered at 2.45Ghz and microwave welders at 60Ghz.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:42 pm

I'd really like to see some 802.11ad radios. I know 60Ghz isn't for really long range, but with up to 82dBm of EIRP outdoors you could do some very good links and 802.11ad radios will be cheap. I'm hacking on a couple of the dell wifig mpice cards now, just waiting on a firmware request. I'm going to mount them on a pair of old primestar dishes and see what happens :)

jtaylor901

Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:40 am

with that model of the mini pops from customer homes..... i thought that was illegal for us to rebroadcast from..... or is that just in relation for the OTARD rule where home owners associations or other entities that don't want antennas mounted on residential homes?

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:09 am

Maybe hoa rules out something, but it's certainly not am issue to transmit in 2.4 and 5Ghz from houses. There are some frequencies and output levels that have to be a certain height above ground or away from people but I didn't commit those to memory.

Previous
Return to The Lounge