Thoughts on upcoming OOBE limitations?

Kick back and hang out in the lounge and talk about almost anything.
rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Thoughts on upcoming OOBE limitations?

Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:00 pm

What are everyone's thoughts on the new OOBE rules? How do you think this is going to affect you and how do you plan to work around these new limitations?

I'm worred about new 'full band' gear costing quite a bit more. In ubnt land, basically extra airPRISM filters for transmitting. It will be a rather big hit in EIRP at the edges.

I'm not necessarily planning like this, but I'm thinking one model may very well be to have long range PTMP centered in unii3 , and then shorter range PTMP on the edges. backhauls in the upper unii1 win AF and sync.

These new rules are likely to make certain sites nearly permanent legacy mode as the loss in EIRP for some APs takes them way below thresholds.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Thoughts on upcoming OOBE limitations?

Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:32 pm

I am still happy with the airMAX M5 line and part of me is afraid of switching as you mention.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:20 pm

sirhc wrote:I am still happy with the airMAX M5 line and part of me is afraid of switching as you mention.

but even that line has the new rules apply for newly shipped gear.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:23 pm

sirhc wrote:I am still happy with the airMAX M5 line...

What are you using for Rockets? I lost track of what issues there are WRT XM/XW and Ti. ISTR there were issues between XM clients and XW AP and that the Ti had port speed negotiation issues.

So, with the new EIRP rules and the grandfather clause, will it be based on firmware version meaning new firmware, new rules? So if you need the new FW to solve the issues you lose the GF clause?

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:03 pm

lligetfa wrote:ISTR there were issues between XM clients and XW AP and that the Ti had port speed negotiation issues.

So, with the new EIRP rules and the grandfather clause, will it be based on firmware version meaning new firmware, new rules? So if you need the new FW to solve the issues you lose the GF clause?

The issues between XM and XW firmwares have essentially all been fixed in 5.6.x firmwares.

UBNT soft-confirmed that the firmware will check the serial number of the device to determine new vs old rules so you can use new firmware on old devices without loosing the grandfather.

Return to The Lounge