airCRM

Kick back and hang out in the lounge and talk about almost anything.
wtm
Experienced Member

Re: airCRM

Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:30 am

Well, per a post today on getting newer devices to show up in AC2, I was told that the newer devices, do not have the scripting needed in their firmware to work with AC2!
I had assumed all along that it was the AC2 that did not have the scripting in it to show the newer devices?

I stand fast in my belief that UBNT does not want AC2 to compete with the AirCRM for whatever reason?

Looks like any outside monitoring software that is being written will need to use the SNMP scripting to look at stats! Unless they eliminate that also from the firmware on newer devices?

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:54 am

if "do not have the scripting" needed is the excuse, it's a ridiculous one. The OS is changed little on the XW and XC devices and the architecture is almost identical (MIPS 74Kc V4.12 vs V5.0) so there is no compatibility issue.

The issue is that SNMP can't pull all the stats we want. need to ssh into the radios and run ubntbox utilities, or drop a script on the radio to run these via cron and publish them to an http page or something.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:43 pm

It's not that Ubiquiti can't but simply that they won't. I seriously think that airCRM is being favored over AC2. Call me paranoid if you want, but I would not be surprised if the master plan is to remove the webUI from the radios and have them all cloud managed like UniFi APs.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:06 pm

lligetfa wrote:It's not that Ubiquiti can't but simply that they won't. I seriously think that airCRM is being favored over AC2. Call me paranoid if you want, but I would not be surprised if the master plan is to remove the webUI from the radios and have them all cloud managed like UniFi APs.

I'm not 100% convinced they will do this, but it seems likely they will try. I'm pretty sure that they would lose users in droves if they did this though, and potentially get sued by forcing customers to share business secrets with a 3rd party.

JustJoe
Experienced Member

Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:35 pm

I seem to recall that in the AC webinar , Matt said there is no longer any development going into AC2. Maybe the programmer left like for AC1.

wtm
Experienced Member

Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:25 pm

I'm not 100% convinced they will do this, but it seems likely they will try. I'm pretty sure that they would lose users in droves if they did this though, and potentially get sued by forcing customers to share business secrets with a 3rd party.

What is going to make that more of a concern for WISP's, is when the shoe drops at the FCC, and the actual Net Neutrality regulations are published! I expect a lot of jaws to drop that kept telling me I was nuts for saying what I felt the Government was going to do to Broadband ! We shall see in a week or two!

BUT, when we become Common Carriers, we are going to really have to watch who does what with our network information? And I am not sure UBNT is looking at that. I feel that they are going the "Uni" route on Airmax, and will eventually try to do away with the GUI. I don't expect to ever see a "Stand alone server" for CRM, as it defeats THEIR purpose for doing all this !

They want to have full control over the radios, and push competitors out of the picture!

(If you want to see if this will happen, keep an eye on the "Uni" product line, and watch the stand alone Uni server get eliminated, and only the "Cloud" version will be available. THAT will tell you everything you need to know!)

Next, you will see SNMP deleted also. Can't have someone make a software program that would allow the monitoring of the radio without using AirCRM !

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:20 am

Yes, it was said that AC2 development has stopped entirely.

JustJoe
Experienced Member

Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:14 pm

Never know, maybe aircrm is an answer to requirements from the NSA ... :leave:

wayneorack
Experienced Member

Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:23 pm

JustJoe wrote:Never know, maybe aircrm is an answer to requirements from the NSA ... :leave:

Well, with a deal like that, maybe they can get DFS certs on their stuff....

jlevans

Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:36 am

Is there any progress on the a fore mentioned Groundcontrol?

PreviousNext
Return to The Lounge