advice on possible AF5 link.

Kick back and hang out in the lounge and talk about almost anything.
rebelwireless
Experienced Member

advice on possible AF5 link.

Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:24 pm

so I have a bit of an issue. I have 2 local competitors that are running sectors hot (my math says the full ptp 53dBm) between my head end and my primary backhaul. Both of them are just noisy enough that I'm running the backhaul in 5150-5250 because the noise in UNII3 is just a bit too much for RocketM5's to perform well. One of them has a sector pointed to the head-end and another pointed to the receiving end, both full power. One of them is clearly a novice and has the sectors aimed flat despite being 75m high and trying to service down at a 45deg angle :/

I can get -57 on the link w/ rockets but I'm getting occasional (as in 10% of the time) noise at ~-75 from them, though typically it's -85-90. They are not heavily loaded APs apparently. So I can get good speeds that collapse from the noise once or twice a minute, which I can see clearly on airview.

I don't want to file a complaint, I'd rather let it be and let kharma take care of them.

That said, I'm fairly confident that if I put up an AF5 I'd blow their sectors out. It's a 12mile link and they are on two high rises at the 7 mile mark just at the edge of the beamwidth.

A) any comments about doing the AF5 and being a non-friendly neighbor would be appreciated
B) any comments on whether the AF5 will force a change on their side, ie. will the AF5 make their existing aiming non-functional.

I'm pushing at most 60Mbps (~75 aggregate) across the link but it's RM5 so I have little headroom. I've recently starting boosting service speeds so I'm going to need more and I don't want to spend $8k on an 11Ghz link.

I should add that one of the providers is a bit arrogant and just simply isn't worth trying to negotiate anything with and the other is 'a bad guy' and would do the opposite of try to work with me as he would perceive a weakness.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: advice on possible AF5 link.

Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:07 am

My experience with AF5 is limited as I hate them!

However that being said it is my understanding that AF5 causes issues with airMAX but also airMAX kills AF5 as well?

Magician or Josh have FAR more experience with them.

I guess I should load a tag module like UBNT has for things like this!
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:21 am

Chris, what do you use for high capacity backhauls? Right now the $2k for an AF5, along with the 12Mile distance, kind of disqualifies anything over 11Ghz.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:00 pm

I put my towers closer together, most are less than 4 miles apart.

But when going 10 miles I would used SAF 11 GHz.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:42 pm

I've been looking at the SAF units, but the cost is much higher...

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:47 pm

Much higher then what, the AF5, your comparing apples and oranges?

AF5 is in your bread and butter spectrum, I would not use it because of this.

A licensed link is guaranteed to not be interfered with or interfere with you.

You always pay for what you get but you do not always get what you pay for.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:08 pm

true, but I'm already using up 40Mhz in 5Ghz so AF5 displaces a current link. I am comparing apples to oranges, but out of financial necessity. $2k is doable, $8k isn't.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:15 pm

Well then there is your answer.
BUT as I said airMAX messes with AF5 so if your having issues with your competitor already with existing airMAX link that mess will still be there.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:38 pm

sirhc wrote:...if your having issues with your competitor already with existing airMAX link that mess will still be there.
If they are uncooperative as you say, it could easily become a war of escalation and there are seldom any winners.

Your only hope may be a tighter beam if they are off-axis or choose a new path to put them off-axis.

josh
Associate
Associate

Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:00 pm

SAF 11GHz Luminas are good up to 366Mbps FD. The Integras can go a bit higher. Both can do XPIC, so you can double that bandwidth by using two radios on the same dish on different polarities.

Exalt 11GHz have field replaceable diplexers. SAF OTOH has a 5 year warranty. We chose SAF.

Next
Return to The Lounge