What do you use for cable?

Kick back and hang out in the lounge and talk about almost anything.
rebelwireless
Experienced Member

What do you use for cable?

Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:45 am

I've been using toughcable and Shireen, I'm completely sick of the tough cable, it's too messy inside a home and the wire shield mesh is a giant pain... I really like the Shireen, what else are you guys using that you like? Hows the Primus Outdoor stuff etc? The price is right..

Ant

Re: What do you use for cable?

Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:25 am

You want the Toughcable pro for home installs and Toughcable carrier only for towers. The pro only has foil and a drain-wire. The carrier has the wire mesh. Shireen DC-1021 seems to be identical to Toughcable pro except the drain wire is aluminum instead of copper.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:29 am

I just order some more of the DC-1021, which I really like. I have been using the carrier for both tower and home. I guess I could carry two different boxes :/ I never tried the TC-Pro because of the horror stories I've heard both on the forums and from other people about the first gen stuff cracking out and shorting etc.

Ant

Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:47 am

The second gen pro is pretty good now. We use the Pro and Carrier tough cable when we can. Usually, we switch up to Shireen due to low stock from the distributors. I personally prefer the copper drain to the aluminum. It seems to do a better job on wicking away static build up.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:50 pm

Ant, how do yoy measure that? Lose less gear? Less reboots? Considering copper is a far better conductor in sure it is a bit better, but that's all relative.

Ant

Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:55 pm

I went back and dug around to find what the Shireen drain wire actually was. I thought it was aluminium as easy as it breaks off, but it turns out to be 24 awg tinned copper. Then I looked at the new TC-Pro datasheet it's 0.4 CCS which I assume is 26 awg copper clad steel. Which is not what I was thinking. In the past, I've had sites where some cables where using the tinned copper and some using the ccs and the tinned cables blew the ethernet ports on the equipment. So I guess it goes back to personal preference.

Return to The Lounge