Switch Dead?

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
grasstrimmer

Re: Switch Dead?

Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:06 am

Well, I will never say I know it all or that I cant improve some of my system, but we ground about like what you are describing and have never lost a Toughswitch in the last 4 years to lightning. Guess that is what I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem and if that is what you think is wrong. I love the switch and its performance. just trying to get a little feedback on what might be the problem. As for asking for advice late in the evening? I apologize for posting. Was not asking for answers tonight. I dont usually have time to get on a forum for real time advice and support. I need to get things back up ASAP so I put my fallback plan in place and then when I have a free minute I will post. But I can wait for business hours if that is requested. But I usually try to fit into the environment I find myself in. I am still feeling this board out I guess and will try to find a place to sit in the corner and listen and learn from those with more experience.

grasstrimmer

Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:24 am

I have been looking on the Netonix site and do not see anything about the RMA process. Am I missing it somewhere?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:27 am

No, your post started off as if this was in the current. SO I assumed you were down NOW.

If your just posting any time is fine.

I hardly think the ToughSwitch is any better in surviving storm damage then ours and in fact I know it is not.

The fact that you did not lose one is probably good luck or this time you had bad luck.

THe most important thing in the grounding that I out line is that your tower ground and electrical service ground are bonded. DO you have a HEAVY #2 running from the tower grounding system to the the electrical grounding system? This is the MOST IMPORTANT THING else your Ethernet cable is what bonds the 2 grounds together. You do not want your Ethernet cables to be the bridge between the tower ground and the Electrical surge ground.

Please post some pictures up of your tower site grounding if you do not mind so I can give some pointers if you like.

Please take pictures of:
Tower ground rods (should have at east 3 preferably 4 in different directions from the base)
Electric service ground rods (should be 2 at least 6 feet apart)
The bonding cable that connects the 2 grounding systems (tower and service)
The ground wire that runs up the tower and then connects to the sectors
Also take pictures of the pole with the transformer, it should have a ground rod at the base.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:34 am

grasstrimmer wrote:I have been looking on the Netonix site and do not see anything about the RMA process. Am I missing it somewhere?

Nope, we do not get many, you would be number 9
We are a small company pretending to be a small company - shhhhhh

RMA #: NRMA0009
Notes: Possible surge damage
Returning MAC:
Sending MAC/SN:
Forum: grasstrimmer
Name:
Company:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State/Province:
Postal Code:
Cell:
Email:
Date
Tracking #:
Fill this out, print it and include with the switch and email it to chris@netonix.com or PM it to me

Ship to:
Netonix
Att: RMA #: NRMA0009
154 Earland Drive
Building 5C
New Holland, PA 17557

I am sure as we grow this will have to get automated.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

grasstrimmer

Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:43 am

Hey please do not think I am saying that the TS is better than the WispSwitch. I have been very happy with its performance. We are probably just lucky that we have not ever had Lightning problems on any of our towers prior to this. Other than one direct hit, and unfortunately I doubt any kind of grounding will help that. I read over your post again on grounding and I do not have the the 2 grounding systems bonded. I will be doing that though in the near future. I understand the Small Company part. My Wisp is in the same shape. Born of necessity and now operated because I enjoy it. I will get that RMA filled out over the weekend and shipped out to you next week. Thanks for the help

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:07 am

Thanks and I will let you know when I get it and put it under for surgery.

Trust me bonding the 2 grounding systems was our biggest lesson learned. Took many years and many pieces of fried equipment until one day an older engineer for a cellular company took an afternoon with us of his own time for nothing and explained all this shit to us, we were doing things so wrong before that!

It took us all that summer to get all of our towers up to snuff the way he suggested and like magic we stopped losing shit left and right. We do not even use Ethernet surge protectors anymore, I always hated them and they never worked but they sure did cause Ethernet errors.

When I get your switch I will give you a call, please provide your cell on the RMA, I give people my cell. I will tell you what this old guy told me about lightening and surges and how they work that made so much sense they way he explained it.

Previous
Return to Hardware and software issues