Cannot select PoE voltage from dropdown

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
lweidig

Cannot select PoE voltage from dropdown

Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:11 pm

We have 8 PoE devices setup on this box at a new tower. Was planning to run some spectral analysis on each of the AU's so I powered them all down and saved / applied the configuration. Then powered on the first of them and it went fine. However, when I went to then power the second one on the drop down list shows up but I am unable to select 24V (or 48V for that mater) from the list. Tried closing down browser / clearing cache and nothing there. So I moved to the next port and ALL 6 others past that will power up as well and allow selection from the drop down.

If there is anything further you want please respond quickly. Planning to reboot the box and hope that helps soon so that we can keep working to get this tower up and running. We are running the rc16 software already.

==== Update ====
I also tried this using Firefox and it behaves the same. IE really had issues with the page and was not able to get something useful. Chrome was the first test and all browsers are up to date for Windows 7 if that matters.

lweidig

Re: Cannot select PoE voltage from dropdown

Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:17 pm

Since no reply, decided to reboot switch. Still cannot power up the port, drop down list shows up but will not allow selection. Pretty much at a loss what to try next except wait for more firmware.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:24 pm

I hope you are running v1.0.1rc16?

If the switch detects a link on a port already it will not allow you to select a POE option for that port.

If you have an issue like this and you need me right away call my cell 717-682-8692
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:21 pm

OK there is an issue here.

The idea was to not let people apply voltages to a port that already has a link but the logic is lacking!

EXAMPLE:
Lets say you have 24V applied to a port and have a link from that PoE device.
Now if you go to the ports tab and select PoE to OFF by mistake for that port it will NOT allow you to re-apply 24V to that port because you have a link. It should be smart enough to realize you currently have 24V on that port to be able to have said link. - DUH

THERE IS A FAILURE HERE IN OUR LOGIC AND WE WILL CORRECT THIS WITH THE NEXT RELEASE.

Work around would be to refresh the page which will force the UI to re-load the running config from the switch.

Nice catch! - THANKS!
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

mhoppes
Associate
Associate

Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:02 am

I'm not understanding, Chris. If you select 24 volt to off then there should be no link on the port because the power was cut, right?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:05 am

mhoppes wrote:I'm not understanding, Chris. If you select 24 volt to off then there should be no link on the port because the power was cut, right?

The problem is we were trying to prevent people from applying voltage to a port that already has a link because the idea is that if you have a link on a port you do not need POE so if you have a link say to a Rocket with 24V and then you go to the ports tab it will allow you to select OFF but say you did this by mistake even before you apply it and wanted to change the OFF back to 24V it will not let you because there is a link detected on that port.

The logic was fallible, it is fixed in the next version.

For now just click browser refresh if you accidentally select OFF on a POE port that has a link because it is getting POE.

Return to Hardware and software issues