Water shorting an interface

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST FIRMWARE HERE
sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Water shorting an interface

Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:56 pm

Dr_Agony wrote:Funny, Chris, but I said the water NEVER gets to my switch. My concern is water in the cable shorting the pairs there. Will that ruin the switch. (I've seen plenty of water-logged switchports, that's why I make sure water doesn't reach my switch.)
I see the posts about dry tape and flooded cables, but I've been telecom for nearly 20 years and have had plenty of icky-pick cables go wet, so those aren't a sure bet by any means.

Water in the cable "can" attenuate the communications and "can" cause excessive power draw which can burn out the Ethernet Transformer.

This does not say it will, if water just gets under the PE jacket but if the individual cable insulators are not compromised and the individual cable insulator material is waterproof (not all are) then it should not affect anything but normally if water gets in the PE jacket then it will find it's way down the cable and reach the jack.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

dragonwifi

Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:15 am

Hiya Guys.

Curious. I've now had 2 incidents of netwonix switches causing a complete site outage.

We use ubnt ep 150w to feed the site. Into a fuse block and then feed various hardware.

I have either a failed cable or hardware shorting a poe cable by the looks. But rather than shutting the port down,the switch cut out, also shorting the edge power supply. I unplugged all the cables and nothing. I had to.drop the power completely to the netonix to restore EP and switch.

I found the faulty cable and left it out.

My question is.

A. Why did it fail to just shut off that port
B. Why did it ahort back the 54v

The previous switch this happened to killed a rocket . Which I thought maybe one of those things. Took the switch back to the office. Plugged in a 24v mikrotik device into a different port and boom. Mikrotik no more and netonix switched off...

Has anyone else experienced this?

Also... no water at port. Port appears good.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:14 pm

What switch model are you powering with a 150W power supply?
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Previous
Return to Hardware and software issues